Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 1- Beginning stages of going Vegan

Well here I am, day one of my thirty day experiment. I had my "last" non-vegan meal last night: a very hot, double cheese and mushroom pizza slice from my favorite pizza place: Fellini's. For those of you living in Atlanta you know what I am talking about. They have some of the best pizza's and calazone's in the city.

I woke up all excited this morning and then realized of all the mornings, I woke up craving a Chik-Fil-A Biscuit. I mean seriously??? I usually only crave Chik-Fil-A on Sunday's, when they are closed! Alas, I settled on a cup of green tea, oatmeal and a banana to start my day. Not nearly as satisfying as a chicken biscuit but certainly much healthier.

I packed my ubber healthy lunch: a giant green salad with olives (green and black), carrots and tomatoes with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing; a plum and a soy yogurt to finish off my meal. The whole meal is very colorful and healthy, but will it satisfy my cravings? We shall see....

As it turned out, my salad was fantastic and very filling. I did have a sweet craving in the early afternoon, so I had a teaspoon of peanut butter. I was doing so great, feeling good about having almost made it through my first day, and then it happened.

It was a terrible Pavlovian response: Brownies. I was having my hair cut when my hairstylist brought out fresh baked homemade brownies. It was the weakest I had been all day. I was literally speechless and salivating. I had to explain what I was doing, and how I would love to dive into those brownies, but couldn't.

I found that telling myself that I could not have certain foods resulted in me craving them. Food as with anything is driven by the brain. Hopefully, I will not have daily cravings for too long.

Day One- ended with lots of success

Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment