Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Grocery Shopping and Kitchen Inventory




Pre-Planning Night One:
I took an inventory of the refrigerator to see what I had on hand that I could eat. After a few minutes I discovered I could only eat: pickles, mustard, organic jelly. Great, it's a pregnant woman's dream of a sandwich.

However, my cupboards looked a little better. I did not feel like Old Mother Hubbard going to her cupboards. I have stewed tomatoes, beans, brown rice, pasta and mixed nuts.

After my kitchen inventory I decided to go to the local Publix. I thought it would be best to start with the basics. As I entered Publix, I was filled with excitement and joy. I had the same excitement as a kid going back-to-school clothes shopping. As I wondered down the aisles I suddenly realized that purchasing my basic foods was not going to be as easy as I had thought. Honey. It's in almost everything: bread, pasta, granola, snack bars, chips, cookies, crackers. Then I discovered that eggs are a sneaky ingredient.

I became the "label reader". You know the one. The person that blocks the aisle because they are reading every label and examining every ingredient for each item they place in their shopping cart. Yup, I became one of those people.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your 'last supper'...I'm curious to find out what you decided you would eat as your last night as a carnivore.

    ReplyDelete