Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day 4- coffee, dressing and soup....

I started my morning with a coffee experiment. As many of my friends know, I am addicted to coffee. I love my morning coffee and with it, cream, lovely sweet, rich cream. Sadly, for the next thirty days, that is not an option. So I tried Almond Milk, Soy Milk and Rice Milk in my coffee. I think rice milk gives coffee the most similar taste to dairy creamer. Almond and Soy both offer a very strong nutty after-taste. Another difference with all three milks is the density of the liquid in the coffee. Dairy creamer creates a "blonding" of the coffee whereas "blonding" doesn't really occur with Almond, Soy or Rice- well, not in normal quantities. If you make it half coffee half milk, then you create a richer creamier affect. Using any of the above milks in coffee is definitely an acquired taste and one I will have after 30 days.

After my coffee experiment, I decided to see how well tofu would be as a salad dressing. I made a creamy balsamic dressing with relative ease (tofu, balsamic, olive oil and onion powder). The initial tasting was interesting. Imagine a smooth, light balsamic with a slightly nutty ending. I actually think I like this creamier version than some traditional balsamic dressings. I will try it this week on a variety of salads and vegetables.

For today's lunch and several future lunches (since I made enough for an army of ten vegans)I made a Kale and Mushroom soup. This was a very delicate soup. I actually expected it to have a little more punch, since kale is a very strong green. The fresh kale and mushrooms combined to create a very delicate soup. I think this soup would have been better with a little sweet potato, just to give some additional flavors and changes in texture. I have enough saved that I might add sweet potatoes just to see how it changes the flavor and possibly the soups body.

I was having some strange random cravings today. Ordinarily I would not be craving any of these foods, but since I have told myself that I can't have them, my brain is determined to torture me with cravings. I really would have given up my first born for a Three Musketeers Bar or a hot, flaky, buttery biscuit. As I type this, my mouth is watering at the thought of a hot biscuit. Perhaps with a little butter, homemade jelly!! Ahhhh, heaven. My brain is determined to continue this random onslaught of cravings, hopefully trying to find a weakness....

2 comments:

  1. Maybe try some Silk soy creamer. I've seen it at most grocery stores next to the soymilk. There are several flavors including french vanilla and hazelnut. I've found it to be incredibly rich. I made hot chocolate with it once, and holy cow that stuff was amazing. Tasted like chocolate cake in a mug.

    Why can't you have a hot buttery biscuit as a vegan?
    Just throw together a vegan biscuit recipe and slather with Earth Balance buttery spread.
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/breakfastrecipe1/r/quickbuscuits.htm

    As for the 3 Musketeers, there are not too many vegan candy bars readily available yet, but just try making some rich, chocolatey vegan desserts, and I guarantee you they will hit the spot.
    I've gotten vegan chocolate mousse from Whole Foods, and they make it with a recipe similar to this one http://www.kripalu.org/article/389/#mousse
    except they add some sweetener, like brown rice syrup.
    This mousse reminds me of a 3 Musketeers bar somewhat for some reason.

    A vegan chocolate bar company coming soon...
    http://www.vegblog.org/archive/2009/02/26/review-go-max-go-candy-bars/

    Or these are the most amazing chocolates I've ever had
    http://www.rosecitychocolates.com/
    This is a good place to get treats too
    http://www.allisonsgourmet.com/index.html?PHPSESSID=0d0c4f1d8b454a875b2f17846bb0569a

    Vegan does not equal deprivation from our favorite foods that we crave. It truly is possible to satisfy nearly any craving on a vegan diet.

    Please let me know if I can ever help you with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey hit everything I would have told you! You're not gluten-free, so you can have wonderfully light baked goods. You can also use coconut oil as a firmer replacement for butter in baking or frying recipes. Expeller pressed doesn't taste coconutty at all.

    WRT coffee: Seriously-- get a can of lite (has to be lite) coconut milk from the Asian section and you will have the blonding and mouth feel you miss. If you use it full strength, it will be like a coconut dessert

    ReplyDelete