Saturday, March 7, 2009

Day 3- Tofu,Dekalb Farmers Market, Dessert




After a series of experiments, I have decided that Tofu is the chameleon of foods. Prior to making my tofu scramble for breakfast I decided to do a little experimenting. The kitchen look like a mad scientist's laboratory had exploded!

I pulled out the Tofutti Cream Cheese (according to the package- BETTER than cream cheese (no truth in the advertising)), Worcestershire Sauce, Garlic, Onions, Green peppers, Italian Spices, Salt, Pepper, Tofurkey sausage, basil leaves and lemongrass. I used an entire block of firm tofu for this experiment. I made eight different versions of scrambled tofu and liked each one. I was fascinated at how the tofu picked up on all the flavors and became that flavor. I think Lemongrass was the most interesting flavor combined with the tofu texture. My least favorite was the tofu with Worcestershire sauce. The texture of the tofu, the strength of the sauce coupled with the extra liquid that the sauce added, created an interesting combination in the pan. I think if perhaps I had added mushrooms or something similar it would have been better.

After my morning experimenting, with tofu, I decided to make a run to the Dekalb Farmers Market. It's usually best to get to the market early, mainly to avoid the HUGE Crowds; unfortunately I was experimenting with tofu, so I got there in the early afternoon. And as luck would have it, all of Atlanta was packed into one farmers market. Regardless of the sardine like atmosphere, I still had a blast. I managed to get a decent amount of product for very little. Some great finds: Agave Nectar (MUCH sweeter and stronger than any honey I have ever had), Quinoa Flakes and Flour, Almond Milk, Tempeh and beautiful Kale. I think I may have set a record for packing the most merchandise into one small carry basket. I did not want to get an actual buggy because of the super packed space; so I opted to go shopping with a basket. One thing that annoys me about the farmers market is all the various people who get the big buggy's and then randomly walk around just "window shopping". The place is way too packed on a Saturday to do any window shopping, much less amble through the market with a full on EMPTY buggy. My beef: If you have a buggy, FILL it, and FILL it all the way. Don't be lazy and just drop one or two items in a buggy. (Stepping off the recycled cardboard soap box)

My evening experiment was making desserts without using eggs or milk. It was actually very easy. I made a plum cobbler and banana bread. I made both using Quinoa Flour, Flakes, Almond Milk, organic vanilla flavoring, brown sugar and soy butter. So both items were very tasty and healthy. Almond milk and almond paste really enhanced the flavor of the banana's and gave the bread a rich flavor. I served the bread with a scoop of Strawberry Rice-Cream (Non-Dairy Ice Cream). The Quinoa Flakes added a very slight nutty taste to the cobbler.

All in all, I would say day three is ending on a high note! So far this experiment has been fun, no major changes in how I feel physically or mentally. I will say that I feel full on less food. The consumption of soy products seems to have the same effect as Chinese Food; only without the wanting to gnaw-your-arm-off stage an hour after you have eaten. I suspect three days is way to soon to see any of the touted results of this eating style. Other than my first morning, I have not hit the holy cow I am craving cow stage.....I am sure that will come...Stay tuned for the 11 O'clock news reports.... :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are enjoying your adventure and learning a lot along the way.
    You have reinspired the creative cooking in me...last night I did an vegan curry - mushroom, cannelini beans, carrots and celery with lots of shallots, scallions and garlic; seasonings were curry, cumin and ginger. Served over quinoa - yummy! with a bottle of Beaujolais....thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you're enjoying your experiments. So far you've mentioned stuff I love and a few products I can't stand (rice cream, tofutti-lyin-cream cheese). It's interesting to see your perspective on this.

    ReplyDelete