Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 2- Breakfast and musings....

I am very excited about the next thirty days. I have found a slew of wonderful sounding recipes that I will start trying out this weekend. While I really enjoyed my Vegan Bocca Burger last night, I realize I can not live off of that for a month.


Day Two: Thankfully I woke up this morning, NOT craving anything. I had a basic breakfast of a Nature's Own English Muffin (the only one I could find that did not have egg or honey) and a banana.


I have heard that one of the misconceptions with the Vegan or Vegetarian diet is that it is bland and boring. And I will admit, it was in the forefront of my mind. But none of the recipes I found sound boring or bland. In fact, they sound interesting and fun to make. What I am quickly discovering is that, as a culture, we have a very strange relationship with food. I discovered last night how many food commercials are run during a two hour period of television. It's no wonder we have consumed ourselves into an overweight nation.

(And for the record: the WE is not the royal WE, I am 100% including myself in the WE)

1 comment:

  1. I was going thru my recipes thinking of you - I found this one that is good and you would enjoy:
    Emeril's Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce
    4 servings
    2 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
    1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    Water
    1 T extra virgin olive oil
    1 T olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups marinara sauce
    2 T chopped parsley

    Preheat oven to 375

    Sprinkly bottom of a large shallow baking dish with salt and pepper; the halved squash should just fit in one layer. Place the squash cut side down in the pan and add enough water to come up about 1 inch. Cover tightly with foil and cook until squash is fork tender, 1 60 to 90 minutes. Shred the squash with a fork and transfer the squash strands to a bowl. Toss with the marinara sauce and garnish with parsley.

    Basic Marinara
    1 T olive oil
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    1 28oz can diced tomatoes in juice
    1 14oz can tomato puree
    2 T chopped fresh parsley leaves

    Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook till tender. Add italian seasonin and cook about 30 seconds. Add the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato puree and parsley. Stir to blend and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 1 hour. Serve over the squash.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete